1. Total distance of route?
2. How long did it take? Were you going fast or travelling leisurely?
Morning through to lunch. Leisurely for sure.
3. Why do you recommend this route?
It’s scenic, there’s a mix of low, medium and faster sections, it’s perfect for a pillion ride or just a breakfast run.
4. Please tell us how the route runs.
Plattekloof > Bloubergstrand > Sea Point > Camps Bay > Hout Bay via the scenic Camps Bay Drive > Constantia > M3 to Muizenberg > Coastal road (R310) to Stellenbosch through the winelands > detour to Devon Valley 4km into the mountains, Lunch at Clos Malverne, R300, N1, home.
5. What kind of motorcycle is the route suitable for?
All types of bikes. It’s all tar roads with some alternative roads for dirt riders in the Stellenbosch area.
6. Please name significant points of interest along the way.
Sea Point, Camps Bay, the scenic drive to Hout Bay. Breakfast at Dunes in Hout Bay is a great choice.
7. Are there petrol stations along the way?
It’s a short route and can be completed on one tank of fuel. But there are a lot of garages along the way.
8. Are there any dangers along the route?
The roads can be slippery in the winter months. Camps Bay drive has some fairly interesting corners, but is suitable for all levels of riders from novice to advanced level riders. Also suitable for group rides as it’s a fairly stress-free, low-speed route. Watch out for speed cameras.
9. What did the trip cost in fuel, meals and accommodation?
Tank of fuel, breakfast for two at R100 and lunch at R178 per person for a four-course meal. Cheaper options are available.
10. Did you use any special gear that made your journey easier or more enjoyable?
I wore a Windstopper neck buff from Cape Union Mart. This simple piece of gear can make all the difference on a winter’s ride, as it protects your neck against the cold and acts as a head cover.
11. Any must-do activities on the route?
Enjoy the damn scenery.
12. Any other comments or advice?
These short routes are perfect for a half-day run, which can easily be extended by including a mountain pass (Sir Lowry’s pass or Helshoogte pass) if you have the time. For those who want to get home before race 1 of the WSBK, this is perfect 😉
13. Are there doctors and hospitals in the area?
All medical facilities are available in the area. Call 112 from your cellphone.
The rider – Mukhtar Mukuddem