At the beginning of July BMW Motorrad announced that its two mid-range adventure seekers, the F 650 GS and F 800 GS, went through some changes. Mostly cosmetic.
The F 650 GS will from now on be known as the F 700 GS. It will still be powered by the 798cc twin cylinder engine, but will now kick out 3kW and 2Nm more to the rear tyre. The final numbers for the 700 GS; 55kW and 77Nm.
Looks have changed for the 700 GS which will be looking exactly like an old F 800 GS.
The new F 800 GS does not differ a lot from the old one. There’s some new plastics on the front end and fresh colour options. You could get it with a lower suspension if that’s your wish.
Both bikes are fitted with ABS as standard and the new GS cockpit and instrumentation.
Overview of new technical features:
- Increased output and torque in the F 700 GS as compared to predecessor model: 55 kW at 7,300 rpm (F 650 GS: 52 kW at 7,000 rpm).
- The latest generation of BMW Motorrad two-channel ABS as standard.
- Double disc brake system at front – now also for F 700 GS.
- Automatic Stability Control ASC (ex works option).
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA (ex works option).
- Rear spring mount can be adjusted via optimised handwheel.
- Newly designed body features in a more dynamic, masculine look.
- New paint finishes for the F 700 GS: Red apple metallic, Ostra grey metallic matt and Glacier silver metallic.
- New paint finishes for the F 800 GS: Kalamata metallic matt, Cordoba blue and Alpine white 3.
- New handlebar switch units and brake fluid containers, front.
- New handlebar clamp for F 700 GS.
- Cockpit with new dial faces for speedometer and engine speed display and an extended range of information.
- New windshield for F 700 GS.
- Smoke grey turn indicators and smoke grey LED rear light glass covering.
- Lowered suspension for F 800 GS (ex works option/special accessory).
The main differentiating technical features at a glance:
BMW F 800 GS BMW F 700 GS
- 63 kW 55 kW
- USD telescopic fork Conventional telescopic fork
- Progressive damping spring strut Gas pressure spring strut
- Spoke wheels Cast wheels
- 21-inch front wheel 19-inch front wheel
- Aluminium handlebar Steel handlebar
- 880/850 mm seat height 820/790 mm seat height
- Weight, road ready, 214 kg Weight, road ready, 209 kg